Going abroad

A mandatory part of the PhD study is a three-month change of environment. Such a change must take the form of a stay at another internationally esteemed research institution, preferably abroad. The supervisors are available for guidance as to which universities to consider. The PhD student is encouraged to obtain external funding for the stay; such funding opportunities are numerous, and a list of relevant funding sources is available from the link on the right.

The how-to of going abroad:

  • You should send the official invitation letter from the foreign university to Torben Andersen, toa@btech.au.dk, and attach a small budget of your stay.
    • You are guaranteed a maximum of DKK 6,000 per month in financial support from BTECH.
  • You do not have to buy separate insurance, but can ask for an insurance card from AU.
  • You will not receive any subsistence allowance (diæter), as it is a long-term stay. BTECH only covers extra expenses.
  • You have to use your Mastercard when paying bills and not your personal card, as AU does not reimburse your expenses.
  • You will have to save all your receipts and send them to Janni Ørskov Salomonsen, janni@btech.au.dk, on a regular basis (at a minimum once a month). We recommend that you make your own overview of your expenses.